The babes of Baywatch
I had such a fabulous long weekend, but the sudden realisation that I’m swamped with work and projects is a little terrifying! Normally, my team writes the movie reviews, they are much better than I, when it comes to critiquing movies, however I wanted to complete this note, The Baywatch Movie, for several reasons. I quickly scrolled through to see what others had been saying and mostly, the reviews on this movie, aren’t great. The thing is…with this movie you have to take it lightly (very!). When I first saw the trailer for the Baywatch movie a couple of months ago, I was quite excited, as it brought back childhood memories of watching the Baywatch TV series in my childhood home.
The iconic red swimsuits (back in fashion & back in hot demand), Pam Anderson, that ‘slow motion’ jog…Carmen Electra also…
The cast in this new movie seemed promising, it was a star cast with Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron and Priyanka Chopra. So, I went to the advance screening with much excitement, yet with an open mind, as many a times, nothing really beats the OG (usually). I’ve gathered my thoughts on this new Baywatch Movie and here they are:
- Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) is one of my favourite actors, and as amazing as he is, as an actor, I felt this movie has let him down completely. The script was a total fail and I hate to say this about a movie I was waiting to watch with much excitement. Yes, there were some scenes that were funny, but most often, it was cringe-worthy. The story-line also did not seem to make much sense. Specifically the opening scene whereby Dwayne Johnson bursts out of the sea with fake dolphins flying around in the background…like really? I can’t believe the Director even allowed that to make it to the final cut…!
- I’ve seen enough Zac Efron movies and this is definitely one of his weakest movies he’s done to date, if not the weakest.
- David Hasselhoff made a cameo appearance and Pam Anderson did as well, at the very end. Oh, the feels when Pam came on screen. Sure, she looks much older now, but the Pam factor is still there. But, what about for those audiences who were all about Carmen Electra. She didn’t make a cameo appearance.
- On the flip side, it was fun to see some supermodels in the movie, with the beautiful babe Kelly Rohrbach leading the pack, it’s no easy feat to play Pam Anderson, but she held her own, and if you pick up one thing from this movie, you’d definitely be spending a bit more time in the gym and be a little bit more cautious with what you eat. Supermodel Izabel Goulart also makes an appearance.
- My favourite few things about the movies: that slow motion jog, the red bathing suit, Victoria Leeds played by Priyanka Chopra (sassy woman), a little bit of glitz and glam you get to see at the parties and of course Pam. Nothing changes there. And, my favorite line from the movie? In one of the final scenes, Priyanka Chopra confidently stated, “If I were a man, you’d call me driven.’ That was about as memorable as this movie gets.
I think it’s one of those movies you’d watch if you had a free afternoon or night, but it’s not solid enough, even for a date night movie. It was disappointing, but I wouldn’t say it was surprising. I think Director Seth Gordon’s vision was to make this movie one of the most ridiculous film…one I couldn’t fully appreciate. Nevertheless, in all things I do, I want to see things positively, and I feel that you go to see The Baywatch movie for a simple laugh and to reminisce the childhood days… a delightful sense of nostalgia.